Gut Contents of Two European Seahorses Hippocampus hippocampus and Hippocampus guttulatus in the Aegean Sea, Coasts of Turkey


Gürkan Ş. , Taşkavak E. , Sever T. M. , Akalın S.

PAKISTAN JOURNAL OF ZOOLOGY, cilt.43, ss.1197-1201, 2011 (SCI İndekslerine Giren Dergi) identifier identifier

  • Cilt numarası: 43
  • Basım Tarihi: 2011
  • Dergi Adı: PAKISTAN JOURNAL OF ZOOLOGY
  • Sayfa Sayıları: ss.1197-1201

Özet

This study investigates the diet of adult wild seahorses, Hippocampus hippocampus and Hippocampus guttulatus from the Aegean Sea, along the coasts of Turkey. A total of 47 fish stomachs (H. hippocampus = 25, H. guttulatus = 22) were analyzed to determine diet according to fish size and sex. Twenty one of specimens of H. hippocampus (84%) had prey in their stomachs. The remaining 4 fish (16%) had empty stomachs. Sixteen H. guttulatus (72.73%) had prey in their stomachs. The remaining 6 fish (27.27%) had empty stomachs. Whereas Mysidaceae (26.92%) and Amphipoda (23.08%) were the main prey groups in diet of H. hippocampus, Mysidaceae (42.59%) and Decapod crustacean larvae (22.22%) constituted the most important food source of II. guttulatus. Because H. guttulatus is a moderately generalized benthonic predator, the food diversity in its gut was greater than in H. hippocampus. There were no differences in diets between males and females of either seahorse species.